Monday, March 10, 2008

the wind of change blows straight

It's the kind of news that gives you goosebumps, gets you excited and yet apprehensive all at once.

The people have spoken. This is democracy at work.


Never has the ruling coalition lost so badly. Barisan has been denied two-thirds majority! What a landslide defeat.

One of the most surprising Barisan loss was the Kelana Jaya seat. Barisan fielded a strong contender, Lee Hwa Beng, against Loh "Accidental Hero" Gwo Burne and Billi "Dare To Fail Who Always Fail" Lim. I suspect Lim is just there for cheap publicity so that leaves us Lee and Loh.


And Loh won. Imagine that.

KJ is a Barisan safe seat. Lee was expected to beat his contender flat! Who has heard of the Loh feller before this? Mention the name Loh and they probably go "Loh who? Oh...the Lingam video guy ar? I see I see..." It is now said that if you nominated a kayu to run for that seat, the kayu would win. I think the residents of KJ didn't care for the name, face or colour of the Opposition's candidate as long as he is the Opposition. I have only seen one big poster of Nik Nazmi (candidate for DUN Seri Setia) around KJ.

In some ways, it seemed unfair that good guys like Lee, who does his job well, are being punished for the Government's mistakes. He has served Subang Jaya well and I'm certain he'll do the same for the KJ constituency. But like all Barisan MPs, he probably will just end up a yes-man. Look at Samy Vellu, one of the longest serving minister and who has a so-called voice. If he can't do much (or won't do much) about the demolition of the Hindu temples, what hope is there for Lee? Will he speak up? Will he be able to, loud and with conviction? I kinda like Lee. I just don't like the badge on his sleeve.

I hope the Opposition can get their act together. For one, nobody and much less the Opposition, saw this coming. For now, DAP, Keadilan and PAS will have to work together, as a team. What we have here is a very unlikely coalition with strong diverse belief system. I'm referring to PAS if you can't catch my drift. Keadilan won the most seats compared to the other Opposition parties and seemed the most neutral, and as such would probably be the leading party of the Opposition coalition. But I have my reservation. Keadilan was formed after the incarceration of Anwar Ibrahim, based on a more selfish agenda, I would believe. It'll be interesting to see their next move.


Irregardless of how all this will pan out in the end, at the very least we have shown the Government that we do have a voice and we are not afraid to use it. At least we have a chance with the Opposition. I mean, how much worse can they do, right?

0 comments: