Monday, January 25, 2010

three cups of this and that

Heeding my out-of-nowhere burning desire for culinary pursuits (for a couple of weeks now), yesterday I took to the kitchen. Now, I would like to think I'm a good cook who doesn't practice enough, that's all ;O)

One of my favourite food discoveries last year was the Three Cups Chicken or 三杯鸡. I first had it at Fong Lye and I thought it was a Taiwanese dish. Turns out it originated from the Jiangxi Province of China but is really popular in Taiwan. The aroma and taste of the dish was so unique I can't quite catch what goes into it. I thought it would be really hard to make but it's actually so easy peasy!



I got the recipe for Three Cups Chicken from this website. Because what chopped up chicken pieces I have looks like half a chicken, I reduced the recipe to 1/5 cup of everything. After all the simmering and the sauce has evaporated, the chicken was left soaking in sesame oil! What's good about sesame oil though is that it doesn't leave an oily aftertaste compared to normal cooking oil. Still, I'll cut down on the oil next time and I'll use proper rice wine or more shaoxing jiu. I'll also pop in a few gizzards coz they would taste soooo good in this pot.



Not quite Fong Lye standard but I kinda like my version better ^___^ And because my mum saw me taking pictures of my Three Cups Chicken, she insist I take pictures of the night's dinner. So here's some fish.



There are many other things I would like to make and that I think I know how to make, so look out for more cooking posts in the future! Well, provided this burning desire keeps on burning, that is.

Oh yes, the reviews for my Three Cups Chicken.

Dad: [Busy eating so no comments]
Mum: Not bad [Mum's a great cook so a "not bad" from her is seriously not bad]
Bro: Chicken very tough [It's kampung chicken, they're tough like that]
Bf: Regardless of what your bro said, I think it's good [Yayy]

0 comments: