Saturday, March 10, 2012

Hanoi 2012: my favourite shops in hanoi

Nagu

From the first moment I laid my eyes on them, the teddy bears in ao dai (Vietnamese traditional costume) and the cutest non la (conical hat), I was hooked. They were beautifully handmade and so came at a price an el cheapo backpacker wouldn't splurge on. But I love them so. Now that I'm less cheap and have evolved into super shopping queen, I bought two teddies! One for each time I was being a cheapo.



Nagu sells good quality gift items such as said teddy bears, passport holders, tissue wallets, bags, etc, mostly made in linen or silk. They also have a small collection of children wear and household accessories (think coasters, not plates) upstairs. I was told they're all handmade so the workmanship is really fine. There's an unmistakable kawaii vibe from the store and its products. For example, a cute Mario mushroom on one of its coasters! This can only mean one thing: the designer is Japanese; an expat living in HCMC to be precise.

Address: 20 Nha Tho. It's just around the corner from St. Joseph's Cathedral.


Tan My

Almost everything in Tan My can be found in the many souvenir shops along Hang Gai. But with just one touch the difference is apparent. The material of the accessories bags, napkins, placemats, etc, is soft and thick, not papery. Like Nagu, the embroidery is fine and neat but I can't be sure whether it's hand sown or machine sown... I forgot to ask.



Nevertheless, if you're looking for gifts that last, this is the place. You'll be paying more, like double more, but you won't regret it.

Address: 66 Hang Gai & 16 Hang Trong.

0 comments: