Thursday, June 07, 2007

Kuching ho! part 2 : jom makan

I think my stomach capacity expanded these last few days.

No trip is complete without a sampling of the local food. If you’re feeling a little bit hungry now, I suggest you skip this post. It's all about food!! I will not be responsible if you get electrocuted salivating against the monitor.

The following are just some must-haves when visiting Kuching...

A place that serves really good Sarawak Laksa is Golden Arch Shopping Mall located at 3rd Mile. Just look for the stall that says “Garden Laksa”. Instead of laksa noodles, they use bee hoon instead. The broth is rich like the curry laksa but it has a base of what taste like belacan. In it are also taugeh and chicken strips. Big prawns are optional. It’s the simplest version of laksa I’ve ever come across, but it’s soooooo smackalicious! I simply love the belacan and lime dip. I habiskan semua - the dip, the soup - both times!!



Something I can eat everyday until I get sick by the sight of it

Introducing the orh chien, Kuching style. Orh (oyster) chien (fry) is oysters fried in a flour and egg batter, usually with some garlic and/or coriander for flavour. Unlike the ones you find at the restaurants or foodcourts here in PJ/KL or even Penang, the orh chien in Kuching has a crispy base and looks like a pizza. Not sure if it’s the local style of making all their orh chien this way, but I had this version at ABC Seafood, one of the many foodstalls at Bukit Mata, Topspot. Personally, I have never been a fan but I’m now officially an orh chien eater convert. But my stomach says only one condition: Kuching style.... heheheh


Look at the size of those orhs! HUGE......

The barbeque chicken wings in the parking lot opposite Pasar Kota Sentosa is da bomb. Besides chicken wing, they also have barbeque gizzards and the somewhat exotic barbeque chicken kar cherng. My bro swear it’s heavenly delicious but I’m not eating no butt of anything. No way, EVER EVER. It’s not a natural anatomical part to feed on. Unfortunately, no pictures. Hungry laaa.... stomach more important!

Where a bowl of kolo mee can burn a hole in your pocket, go to Restaurant Swee Sin at 10th Mile. My bowl with big big prawns already cost RM8. The most expensive kolo mee on their menu is RM30. I dunno la what they put inside but RM30 can buy me 20 Teh-C-Peng Special liao. Much much too expensive for me. And their kolo mee is so-so only, nothing too special. However, the place seemed pretty popular with locals and tourists alike.



My favourite drink in Kuching: Teh-C-Peng Special. It’s your normal basic teh peng sweetened with gula melaka (palm sugar). Certain coffeeshops serve them with 5 layers and cincau. This one here is the standard 3 layers.



That's all for food. Hope you're hungry and planning a trip to Kuching soon!

0 comments: