Tuesday, April 26, 2011

being chinese

I struggle to bite my tongue on so-called sensitive issues in this blog. I practice self censure because it gets tiring and repetitive after a while, but mostly because I'm afraid the government will use ISA on me.

However, the PM Najib Razak has promised that the government will never censor the Internet and that it’s important for bloggers to put forward their views so that the government can build a better future for our country. The PM calls for constructive criticism and will allow freedom of speech on blogs. So here is my two sen worth of constructive criticism:-

Dear PM Najib Razak,

Utusan Malaysia has started yet another racist rant, this time calling for its owners, UMNO, to spearhead a 1Melayu 1Bumi movement involving all Melayu parties. Zaini Hassan wrote that:-

(1) The Melayus are not united and that the Chinese have already controlled everything and is now aiming for absolute political power.
(2) The Chinese community is especially united, and would help each other economically.
(3) The Chinese are proud of their language and even Chinese who cannot read Chinese will still buy Chinese newspapers.
(4) The Chinese are actually very fortunate to be in Malaysia.
(5) The Melayu parties should unite to fight for the interests of their race that is increasingly being left behind.

I find it rather seditious, but I guess the government doesn’t think so, since no one was arrested and the DPM Muhyiddin Yassin said the media should not be prevented from expressing its views, even if there were parties that disagreed with the messages put across. I applaud the government for taking this open-mindedness stance and let this be a record the next time a blogger or an editor gets hauled up for reporting facts.

Now, in exercising my freedom of speech, I disagree whole heartedly with Zaini Hassan on point number 3. Firstly, no Chinese, or any other race or rational human, would be very clever to buy newspapers in a language they cannot read in. I do not have the statistical data to refute his claims but I do speak for common sense.

I agree with Zaini Hassan that the Chinese are united, but not in every facet of life and only because the UMNO putras made us this way. For some reason, the existence of Chinese in Malaysia is like the pimple on the arse for the UMNO putras: painful, annoying, wouldn’t go away fast enough…. We are constantly reminded that we’re pendatang (foreigners or immigrants) and that we’re a lucky lot to be able to plant roots in Malaysia.

I am a third generation Fujian Chinese in Malaysia. My great grandfather sailed the seas in search of better living conditions post war-torn China and worked as a sinseh. I do not know of any relatives in China and I do not have any other home other than the roof over my head in Malaysia. I have a blue IC like any other people born in Malaysia, but I’ve been told I’m only a second class citizen. Many a times the Chinese have been told to balik China (return to China).


(Shanghai) (Image courtesy of ayakovlev.info)

If “going back to China” would accord me with rights equal to any other citizens of China, I would gladly do so. But alas, I’m not sure if I could afford China. In the past 10 years or so, China had undergone huge economic progress, boasting billionaires, highways, skyscrapers and all that which is superior to the modern and democratic Malaysia. The cost of living in urban cities in China is easily double of KL. There’s no way I can afford China but if I can’t “go back to China” and Malaysia doesn’t want me, where can I go?

The Melayus are pendatang too, from Indonesia. They are not the original settlers of Malaysia. What right do they have to claim Malaysia for themselves only? For all the cries of balik China, we don’t ask you to balik Indonesia.

It’s so easy to play the blame game. When BN turned in a less than stellar performance at the recent Sarawak elections, it’s the Chinese’s fault. Former PM Mahathir Mohamad accused the Sarawakian Chinese of rejecting multi-racism. Utusan Malaysia’s Awang Salleh wrote that BN should punish the Chinese voters who did not support the ruling coalition. The Election Commission accused DAP of running a racist campaign in Sarawak. From what I can see, all the campaigning was largely anti-Pek Moh and cried for a change.



So yes, the Chinese are united because we want change.

We don’t get handouts from the government. We don’t get scholarships from MARA. We don’t get investment funds for the hardcore poor Chinese. In fact, like the Indians or the Yang Lain-lains, we don’t get a lot of things that should be distributed equally amongst all citizens of this country.

So what do we do? Sit and stew? Blog about how unfair the government is? Lead a protest group to the parliament? How will this change anything for the Chinese?

Life goes on. We just make the best out of it. The fact is, the Melayu will always form the majority and socio-economic policies will always veer in their favour. I don’t foresee anything to change too drastically.

Personally, my wish list is for a better education system. No more flip-flopping between Maths and Science in English or Bahasa Malaysia. The teachers of our future generations should be highly educated as well, and not the third or fourth grade graduates who could not qualify to go into science, medicine, engineering, legal or finance. Let those who wants an education, gets educated in what they want, here. Not every Chinese family can afford private education.

I want to see the wealth of the country being used in a rightful and economically beneficial manner. Monies sourced from Malaysian soil should be used in a way that would benefit the population as a whole. Channel money from super projects into the rural areas of East Malaysia that are still lacking in basic necessities such as electricity, running water and proper roads. Corrupt officials and politicians should be sacked and meted out just punishment. How can we trust a politician who is not honest to work for us?

Please stop portraying the Melayu as a weak race that needs help all the time. If you say that often enough, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Instead of telling them they are victims and the Chinese are largely at fault for their current situation, empower them to change and strive for the best life can offer. The government did not look out for us, and if we can survive, so can anyone in Malaysia.

It’s never about the Melayu vs the Chinese. We just want to be treated like citizens of this country, without any grades. And while you, dear PM Najib Razak, try to convince us 1Malaysia is the way to go, your little Napoleans are running amok creating havoc. I don’t know whether you approve any of it for you seem awfully quiet while your little dream is under siege.

Actually, you don’t need bother selling us 1Malaysia. The Melayus, Chinese, Indians, and Yang Lain-lains can live and work side by side. Our money could be better spent re-educating the UMNO putras instead. Stop their rant on Melayu vs Chinese or that the Melayu is a superior race, you would not have any real racism issue at hand.

I could go on and on, for the malaise that hounds Malaysia is never ending. I hope you take my constructive criticism constructively. After all, I also want only the best for my country.


Signed,
Pendatang who will vote for change

0 comments: