Tuesday, November 02, 2010

London 2010: Diwali in the city

We spent the entire morning making breakfast (roesti with oven baked bangers) and watching Zoolander. I haven’t seen it before because it was banned in good ol’ Malaysia, which I don’t understand why, because it was thigh-slapping feet-stomping hilarious! OK, maybe I do know. In the show, our PM is a cina ah-pek. So unthinkable hor? The gahmen takes things too seriously sometimes..mehh.

Yesterday the clock was turned back one hour. I didn't know that all digital clocks will adjust automatically. A brother of my friend’s, whom I met for dinner later, forgot about this and was rushing coz he thought he was late, haha. Used to happen to me in Ozzie too.

Anyway, since Deepavali is just around the corner and because there's a huge population of Indians in the UK, it was fitting that there's a Deepavali festival in Trafalgar Square. We were there because Dav secretly wanna be an Indian, according to Steph.


#1. Some bhangra dance happening, I think.


#2. Indian sweets given out at the festival.

The festival is not just a cultural showcase of some sort. It is significant to Londoners. Do you know that the national dish of UK is actually tikka masala? That's how in love they are with Indian food.

In every city, you can always find a small community of likes converging in a particular suburb. That would naturally be the best place for "local" cuisine. In UK, the Indian community more or less converged in East Ham and that was where we went for dinner. There’s even 2 Indian temples there.


#3. Dinner was at Chennai Dosa and I ordered a Butter Panner Masala with chapatti. It was really really good albeit just a tad on the salty side.

My friend's brother, who I mentioned earlier, just moved to London from Luxembourg, and one of the things he had to do at work was attend an orientation on “Living in UK”. In the class, he was taught that it takes a longx6 time for the British people to warm up to you. If you’re lucky, you’d get invited to someone’s home for dinner in 6 months. The British people do not criticize you directly, instead opting to drop hints or beating around the bush (I wonder if they do the same when praising you?). If I kena something like that from a British boss, sure die coz I'm a failure at reading between the lines.

Oh and then, while walking to the train station after dinner, I saw the green laser beam from Greenwich. Yayy! Another item struck off the list :)

0 comments: