Saturday, November 06, 2010

London 2010: Rained-in day

For some reason, wherever I go, lousy weather follows. When I left London for Paris, London was sunny with a cool breeze. When I got into town on Thursday night, the weather was mild enough for me to walk around in just a sweater and windbreaker. Yesterday somehow, when I decided to go walking about town, it rained. And it rained the whole day.

So I went to the National Gallery. There's a free one-hour guided tour but I got bored after 10 minutes. I got myself an audio guide and saw Renoir's The Umbrellas, Seurat's Bathers at Asnières, Van Gogh's Sunflowers, Botticelli's Venus and Mars, van Eyck's The Arnolfini Portrait, one of Monet's not so famous Water Lily and a couple of Degas. The collection's not huge but there are some really good ones. I now have a new-found appreciation for pointillism, first developed by Seurat. It's a very beautiful technique.

The shop at the gallery has some pretty unique memorabilia items along with books on artists and their art. I really love the umbrellas with art prints but they're expensive at 25 pounds for one. Maybe when I'm richer, haha. What I did get was an owl for The BF's friend, coz his wife collects them. I think it's a Christmas trimming.



I had purchased a dinner and show package for Wicked last night. Dinner was a two course at a very nice hotel about 5 blocks away from the Apollo Victoria. It's supposed to start at 6pm but I conveniently didn't read that part and was sort of preoccupied with spending more money at H&M. As a result, I only got to the restaurant at 7pm and wolfed everything down in 15 minutes. It was a nice dinner but I would've enjoyed it more if I don't swallow without chewing. So many tragedies related to H&M, haha.



I absolutely adore Wicked! It's funny and Defying Gravity is so so good. Wicked is a prequel to The Wizard of Oz and it puts a new twist to what came to be in the story. The set looks amazing! I'm so happy :)

0 comments: